Coolkeeragh Power Station
- Northern Ireland Electricity PLC
- Industrial Dismantling and Decommissioning, Asbestos Removal
- April 2010 (32 Months)
This contract comprised the removal of insulant material, the de-planting of station plant and equipment, and the demolition of power station structures at Coolkeeragh Power Station, Electra Road, Maydown, Londonderry.
The site is around five kilometres North of Londonderry, on the Maydown industrial estate. The oil fired power station was built in the late 1950s/early 1960s, and was subject to further development at various stages throughout its life. It ceased operation in June 2005.
This project involved the decommissioning, asbestos removal, demolition and remediation of the old oil fired Coolkeeragh Power Station, the main project elements included :
- Removal and disposal of significant quantities of asbestos containing insulation and building materials;
- Dismantling, decontamination and removal of all plant and equipment from the main buildings;
- Decontamination, demolition and removal of 3 large oil storage tanks;
- Demolition of the main power station building (boiler and generator building);
- Demolition, processing and removal of three chimney stacks;
- Decontamination, demolition and removal of various associated ancillary buildings and plant are also included within the project;